So how do you measure a year?
We start by asking ourselves questions.
While we can’t change the past, we can learn from it.
- When you think back on this past year, what are you proud of yourself for?
- What surprised you from this past year?
- What worked well the past year that you are grateful for?
- What was challenging or disappointing?
- What were your most meaningful moments?
- Where did you fail?
- What did you do this year that you’d never done before?
- Compared to this time last year, are you: happier or sadder?
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
- What kept you sane?
- What valuable life lesson did you learn this year?
- What was your biggest triumph?
- What was the smartest decision you made?
- How have you seen yourself grow this year?
- What was the biggest risk you took in 2022?
- What is your biggest piece of unfinished business?
- What would you like to do next year that you didn’t do this year?
And of course the really big question tonight…
Regardless of how 2022 went for you, how are you going to make 2023 better?
But rather than talk about it, or make yet another new year’s resolution, Don encouraged us to simply do it.
To Take action.
We can talk about the future all we want, but what is important is what we actually do.
Not what we say we are going to do, what we do.
Do you repeat the same mistakes of 2022?
Do you let everything stay as it is because it is easier than making actual changes?
As we all know, those changes can be scary.
Don challenged us to break out of our cages and move toward a happier life.
To do whatever it takes, because doing, rather than talking about it is the only way to make your life actually better.
To do what you know down deep in your heart, you need to do.
Do what it takes to find true freedom, true happiness.
Break out of the self imposed, sometimes comfortable cages that hold you back.
Overcome 2022 regret.
Overcome 2023 fear.
I challenge you to make 23 better than 22, no matter how good or bad last year was for you.
I challenge you to make bold changes with courage.
To reimagine yourself.
Because you are the only one that can do it.
And why would you wait even a second to do something that would be good for you.
There truly is no day like today.
Real change does not happen in the loud public moments of life. Not with the ball drop, the fireworks, and everything else that goes along with new years.
Real change happens quietly.
This year, instead of loud public resolutions, choose quiet change and have your best 2023.